Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Elements & Principles of Photography

~Leading Lines~
Lines in an image that leads the viewers eyes to the main focal point.
This photo represents leading lines very well because it is directing the viewers eyes back the pieces of wood. It inspires me because i love the outdoor and its just really creative looking.

~Vertical Lines~
Lines that show a sense of strength, rigidity, and power. Goes North-South, vice versa.


This photo is a good example of vertical lines because all the lines/ indents of the brick is going from upward to downward. This picture reminds me of the paint splattered bench in my backyard.
~Horizontal Lines~
Lines that go left to right, Conveys a message of stability, or rest.
The reason I chose this photo as my example of horizontal lines is because the way the shingles on the roof move is from left to right. When Christmas is close by I usually go up on the roof and hang up lights with my dad.
~Diagonal Lines~

Lines that create certain points of interest/focus and shows a strong impression of movement by crossing each other.
This photo displays a strong understanding of diagonal lines because they cross each other. This is like my patio fencing, and it inspires me to do something creative with that.
~Curved Lines~

Often perceived as soft, soothing, settling, and relaxing lines.
This picture shows curved lines, but I'm not really sure what it is. It just looks really cool and inspires me to find something different like this photograph.
~Symmetrical Balance~
Brings balance and proportion, easiest to see in perfectly centered compositions.
This photo is really cool to me and it the reflection of the tree in the water is the same as it outside of the water. I have a creek by my house that I could take the same looking photo like this.
~Asymmetrical Balance~
Typically off-centered or created with an odd or mismatched line of symmetry but still flows together.
Since I am a monkey and like to do crazy handstands and stuff, this photo inspires me to take a picture like this. The background of the photo still flows when the guy in the front is putting out of proportion.
~Unity~
When all of the elements of a piece combine to make a balanced, harmonious, complete whole.
This picture displays unity because it has repetition, but a variety of colors and it makes it balanced. These colors are all my favorite colors and i could combine some different colors of other objects and create something like this.
~Variety~
To change to character of an element, or to make it different.
This photograph has a lot of variety, all the different colors/shapes of the ornaments brings out the photograph and makes it look interesting. It inspires me to go to a Christmas store and take photographs of them.
~Movement/Rhythm~
Adds excitement to your work by showing action and directing the viewers eye throughout the picture
This photo shows movement with the blurriness of the birds wings, it inspires me because the bird is nature and the flowers or whatever are just really cool looking.
~Emphasis~
An object in a picture that draws attention and becomes the focal point of the photograph
This photo is really inspiring to me because the feather is being emphasized and the beach is in the background. But I like the way the didnt make it seem to clear that its at the beach.
~Proportion/Scale~
The illusion of correct size relationships between objects and figures.
This photo to me is kind of funny, it shows how huge the clothes pin is compared to the 2 people in the background. This shows proportion and scale clearly.
~Repetition/Pattern~
When you repeat a certain size, shape, or color to add strength to the overall image.

I like this photograph because it is something you could take a picture of any day you wanted. The shopping carts are showing repetition.
~Bird's eye view~
Angle with a perspective as if the viewer was a bird.
This picture reminds me of every year when i go to the beach just feeling so tall looking down at the waves as if i were a bird.
~Worms eye view~
A perspective seen from below or from a low angled position.
This photograph is a really good example of worms eye view. It is pretty much the exact opposite of birds eye view. all you need for this photograph is a tree and a camera.
~Horizon Line~
One horizontal line across the picture to show the foreground and background.
This picture has a horizon line in the back of the trees and it shows the foreground which is the darkness in front of the trees and the beackground is the other trees behind it.
~Rule of Thirds~
An imaginary grid drawn across a photo area that breaks the image into nine squares.
This pictures so cool. I just had to put it on here. Its a way of showing rule of thirds clearly. Its a goat. I like goats. That's why I chose this picture.
~Framing~
The use of natural surroundings to add more meaning to your subject matter.
I love this photo. The way they framed this picture is creative and ive never seen this kind of framing before, i would like to try something like this.
~Simplicity~
Most obvious/ simple theme. Usually set up on a neutral background.
This picture is really simple but at the same time i really like it because it makes the whole theme of the photo stand out even more.
~Texture~
Uses the physical composition or structure of your subject matter to make your work more pleasing.
This picture shows texture in the bricks on the walls and i really love the way that the sky looks at the time it was taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment